[LMB] OT: usefulness of colorblindness.

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Fri Jan 21 16:43:50 GMT 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Amelia Edwards wrote:

> My husband has a slight color deficiency, which isn't enough to keep him
> from being a private or commercial pilot, but would exclude him from the
> military. In reading up on color blindness and pilots, I found one anecdote
> about a pilot who was assigned to the infantry due to color blindness, but
> was immediately transferred to a flight crew by an astute officer upon
> arrival in Europe because red/green colorblind people can often see through
> camo.

Might be a contributing factor to the survival of the trait. As hunter gatherers or small villagers in conflict a man with that trait might be useful. Someone better than average in seeing thru camo might well gain status.

OTOH, it was a ticket to the front line during the Vietnam war and probably currently for the same reason.