[LMB] OT:Detailed analysis of First Cyberwar up at TWS!

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Sat Jan 22 02:36:16 GMT 2011

Quoting Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>:

> On Jan 21, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Mitch Miller wrote:
>
>> Good article, Royce, but you made one mistake -- it certainly is
>> not the first time one nation has made
>> a cyberwar attack on another.   The Russians attacked Estonian and
>> Georgia, the Chinese have attacked Taiwan.
>> And I seem to recall the Norks launched an attack on the Souks a while ago.
>

> And Muslim army of Amr ibn al 'Aas destroyed the Great Library of Alexandria.

That had been destroyed several times---ISTR a lot of it burned in the
fighting between Caesar-and-Cleopatra and Ptolemy (Caesar gave
Cleopatra the library of Pergamon to replace the losses, IIRC) and
later Bishop Theophilius (the same one who organized the lynching of
Hypatia, may his bones burn green) burned down the Serapeum and the
Library was caught in the fire.  by the time the Muslims came, there
wasn't really a lot left.