[LMB] Not so secret police on Barrayar

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 12:13:18 GMT 2011

> From: Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net

> And really, after skimming through TWA recently, Baz is probably the
> best check we get throughout the series of what the average Barrayaran
> on the street feels when confronted with ImpSec (terror) and meeting a
> Vorkosigan (awe). Spending all our time in the head of Cordelia, Miles
> or even Ekaterin gives us a very skewed view of Barrayaran society...
>
> Agnes

Well, the average Barrayaran deserter. Miles is horrified when he realises
that his contact with Baz will mean Impsec attention and Baz's death. I'm
sure most people are careful around them, but I'm not sure about the
terror. (If you're innocent. Of course, Impsec probably assumes everyone
is guilty.)

Baz's response to the Vorkosigan thing was interesting, though. He
recognised the livery colours right away - I'm sure that not all sixty
sets of colours get instant recognition.

Wasn't it great when Tung says, "Who do you think you are? Lord
Vorkosigan?" And Miles nearly chokes. I know that years later Tung
tells Miles that he's worked out that the fleet works for Barrayar - but
has he figured out who Miles is?

Gwynne