[LMB] OT: Darkover, was FILK Vor Hatred was Vor Class, Permeability

Ross Ashley redlion at sff.net
Mon Jan 24 05:48:39 GMT 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:09:43 -0500, Richard Macdonald wrote:

> From: Pat Mathews
> Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Darkover, was FILK Vor Hatred was Vor Class
> Permeability

> > Really? I though Archie Bunker was core GI Generation like my own father.
> > Maybe Carroll O'Conner was born in 1923, but Archie? He had to have been
> > born in the early 19-teens.
> 1923 would be about right for the USA WWII Generation.

> Would have been 21 for D-Day and 22 for the end of the war.

My Dad, born 1922, enlisted in early 1942, served USAAF as a tail-gunner in Marauders in the Med Theater. Came home and tried to give us kids *the stability he had never had* in the Depression in Connecticut. He knew the way things had been before, and he knew, frankly, that it had sucked. Middle-class stability was never part of his life or memories. He aspired to it, but it was the future, not the past!

--
B. Ross Ashley http://brashley46.livejournal.com http://brashley46.no-ip.info
"It would be too painful to think that there are worlds somewhere