[LMB] Brain Damage For Ivan?

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:11:38 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Becca <becca_price at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 1/25/11, Tracy A <greenlady31 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I thought the "idle singles" was just the haut?  The
>> ghem population seems to have a very different
>> structure.   And isn't three also "ordinary"
>> Cetagandans too?   I don't have textrev for
>> that, but I seem to remember it coming up in a discussion.
>

> What about Lord Yanaro (sp?) and his crowd? they were Ghem, not Haut.
>
> -becca

Yeah, I'm talking about Yenaro and so-on.

We're comparing Cetaganda to a culture that tends towards marrying
women off in their early twenties and having them immediately start
closely-spaced childbearing even after modernization. In the ToI,
where natural dynamics were prevalent, this tendency would have led to
huge growth. Yes, diminished a little by war and mutation, but the
fact that they were able to sustain organized war early on itself
attests to the growth. Mutation's going to be less of an issue than
infectious diseases left behind on Earth were historically.

Eta Ceta, meanwhile, believes in birth control. That cuts growth
rates. They have lengthened generation time. That cuts growth rates by
a lot even if child number is the same and lifespan is longer. They
have a population living in modern cities. That cuts growth rates.
Children can contribute economically to your Barrayaran rural
household economy - likely not so much in the Cetagandan capital. That
cuts growth rates. Immigration can happen - but so can emigration,
impossible on ToI Barrayar.  And we're talking about exponential
growth here, so even a little difference matters a lot.

Historically rural areas are a source of population and urban areas
are a sink. Low tech farms need a lot of people, high-tech farms need
few. Some real urban shantytowns with child labor can still maintain
positive growth, but the difference is -still- usually around a kid
per mother compared to the rural areas and often more. I just don't
see your average Cetagandan having as many kids as your average
Barrayaran period, much less the numbers at a young age it'd take to
-exceed- their population growth over the long haul.

People have to come from somewhere.

-Tel