[LMB] Brain Damage For Ivan?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 25 19:54:05 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:11:38AM -0800, Tel wrote:

> Historically rural areas are a source of population and urban areas
> are a sink. Low tech farms need a lot of people, high-tech farms need
> few. Some real urban shantytowns with child labor can still maintain
> positive growth, but the difference is -still- usually around a kid
> per mother compared to the rural areas and often more. I just don't
> see your average Cetagandan having as many kids as your average
> Barrayaran period, much less the numbers at a young age it'd take to
> -exceed- their population growth over the long haul.

Going by historical trends, especially recent ones, the Nexus and almost
all of broadly space-based SF can't exist.  You have to assume
reproductive urban populations somehow or it just doesn't work.

Barrayar had to grow from 50,000 people.  Eta Ceta could have had a
much larger base, and more immigration over time perhaps when its
society was more open and attractive.

We have textev that they *do* clone servants.  We know nothing about the
"servitor classes".  It's very easy for me to read this as a Brave New
World/Cyteen situation, where lots of people are mass-produced and
raised in SF/azi style creches.  Alternately, though ghem and haut
ladies seem to have it easy now, I've noted that the cultural gender
roles suggest a past where women were forced to be broodmares, with
eugenics control as the consolation prize.  Those African-style growth
rates people pointed me at.  We see them in a relaxed phase but that
doesn't mean they were always that way.

The quaddies have gone from 1000 to a million in 200 years.  Give them
another 200 years, they'd have a billion.  Another 200 years... and that
won't work.  (Well, it might for them, you can have a trillion people if
they're all in space stations...)

-xx- Damien X-)