[LMB] OT: legalization

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Jan 25 22:02:15 GMT 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 2:04 PM, William A Wenrich wrote:

> There were references in Niven's "Gil the ARM" series to the affect that
> smuggling is too easy with displacement booths and addictive personalities
> tend to become wireheaders.
>

> Does anyone think that pot will be legalized for 8-year-olds? There were two
> third graders caught smoking pot in the boys room at an elementary school
> here recently. They said they had been using for years. The legal drinking
> age is 21. Does anyone think that pot would be legal any younger? How many
> alcoholics or people with other drug problems started after 21?

Current Western sensibilities are to protect youth more than just about any time in history.   If we go further to single child families, this trend will likely continue.    It doesn't mean children don't smoke cigarettes though - but not nearly as much as they did a century ago.

Maybe if "adult" drugs become as easy to acquire (via technology) as "adult" porn.   But that won't be for a while.