[LMB] Political discussion

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 00:22:46 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 06:04:16AM -0800, Judy R. Johnson wrote:
>
>> Now we have Gregor.  Supreme, secure, serene.  From his position of power,
>> it seems - oh, the anticipation! - that he may give away a good deal of it,
>> justifying the process as a well-planned transition to a form of government
>> that is more stable through being more broad-based, creating a pact with the
>> general population, including Kommar's, offering hope and security.
>> Sustainable government, with constitutional provisions for unsuitable
>> hereditary rulers and security for suitable ones.  Every indication is that
>> he plans to do just that.  Don't jiggle his elbow.
>
> What indications are there that Gregor plans to do that?

yes, quite. Nobody's made the Meiji Charter Oath here, after all.

It's not fully clear to me what Gregor's endpoints are, but the one
statement we have of his goals "Keep the peace. Keep the various
factions from trying to kill each other. Make bloody sure that no
galactic invader ever puts a boot on Barrayaran soil again. Foster
economic progress." is fundamentally quite conservative and seems to
presuppose him keeping real (as opposed to figurehead) power.

Barrayar's track record under Aral and Gregor of dealing with dissent
against the regime (actual dissent. Not 'loyal opposition' among the
privileged nobility) is not great...

-Tel