[LMB] OT: legalization

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:08:28 GMT 2011

On 26 January 2011 01:26, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier <agnes at charrel.net> wrote:
> Elementary age kids might be allowed one sip of wine in
> a fancy glass during the big holiday dinners. By the end of
> high school most of my generation would have transitioned
> to drinking along the same pattern as the adults during
> dinners, with smaller amounts.

Similarly, my mother let me try sparkling wine on New Year's Eve. To
this day I don't drink alcohol, because I just don't like the taste.

Mind, some of the kids in my class (7th form, I think), BRAGGING that
they passed out and didn't remember where they vomited was really
offputting, too.

> While there are issues around young people and drinking
> in France (I saw my share of students plastered during
> college parties with one or two cases of  passed-out-in-own-
> vomit-in-the-hallway -- with all classmates aghast at the
> lack of control it showed) and alcoholism is certainly nothing
> new there (see Zola, L'Assomoir) and the country authorities
> are currently worrying about binge drinking being imported
> from England and the US (young people these days!)

I remember some months ago some statistics about drinking at a young
age in Germany being in the newspaper. Whoever wrote the article
expressed confusion about the findings: Fewer children starting to
drink early, but more alcohol consumed in the age bracket.
The explanation that there might be a growing divide between kids who
don't start drinking early on one side, and kids who start early and
treat it as a "who-can-drink-most" sport seemed like a pretty obvious
guess to me...

I don't understand the appeal of making oneself sick.

Anke
--
http://ankewehner.de