[LMB] OT: legalization

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Jan 26 15:07:17 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy R. Johnson" <jrj at fidalgo.net>
To: "'Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.'"
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: legalization

Seeing people eat themselves into diabetes and mobility impairment and
expensive-to-everyone-in-society attendant medical conditions, pill-popping
for condition mitigation, special heavy person ambulance purchase expenses
(Boston took possession of one last week or the week before, because it was
having problems with people too massive for the existing ambulances and
ambulance crews to maneuver out of a residence and into an ambulance and
give first aid to...), productivity losses, etc, is also no fun.... High
fructose corn syrup is a significant contributor, and the latest research
report reported on by Reuters is that pancreatic cancer cells multiply very
vigorously fed fructose, versus much less vigorous activity fed sucrose.
(There wasn't discussion about feeding fruit or other natural foodstuff with
glucose to the cancer cells, to see what differences may happen with that--
e.g., blueberrys and black raspberries seem to have anti-cancer properties,
even though they contain fructose.... but clearly -pure- fructose,
encourages pancreatic cancer cells to multiply... I  wonder what sucralose
and aspartame do....)

> perversion of legal justice systems, alarming.
>
> It would be such a shame if Organized Crime had to make do without the
> vast
> income they derive from the supply of illegal drugs.  I've always believed

If people didn't buy/use, the market wouldn't be there.  For that matter,
Sweden or Norway once had a horrible problem with alcoholism and drunk
drivers, hard labor for drink  drivers changed perceptions enough to effect
social climate and condition changed and mindset which  -stopped- the
problem (that is, much as people automatically almost stay to the right when
walking in the USA, Scandinavians stopped the combination of drinking to
drunkeness and then driving...)