[LMB] OT: legalization

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Jan 26 15:57:41 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Kennedy" <kevink45 at hotmail.com>
To: <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: legalization

> Me neither. And I've always been too durned cheap to get drunk on a
> regular basis. I'd rather buy books,
>
>> I don't understand the appeal of making oneself sick.

There's are a few missing dimensions in most discussions about alcohol and
mood-changing/judgment/reflex-degrading pharmaceuticals--different people do
NOT have the same degrees of susceptibility and addictiveness, often people
are using them for self-medication whether consciously or not, and one's
situation as regards work/stress/etc. are also involved.  There was heavy
drug use among GIs in Vietnam, their lives consisted of periods of boredom
mixed with sudden attacks and with going out on missions.  The heroin
available there was very high purity, and US officials feared there would be
an epidemic of drug addicts returning with the end of the war.  That didn't
happen, though, while there were a few, most of the soldiers who'd been
massively abusing drugs in Vietnam, quit using the illegal ones cold turkey
as soon as they got on the plane taking them back home permanently to the
USA...