[LMB] OT: legalization

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 17:48:30 GMT 2011

 Damien Sullivan wrote:
> OTOH a drinking age of 21 is a unique perversion of the US, and a
> pretty recent one at that, driven by Congress's driving safety concerns.
> Elsewhere it's 18 or lower.

Howard Brazee:
> The trend isn't completely consistent - which is the nature of trends.
> But don't you agree that this trend is widespread in many countries?

Well, Germany raised the buying age for tobacco from 16 to 18 recently.
I haven't heard anything about plans to raise the beer&wine drinking
age from 16 to 18, but I don't pay that much attention, either.

I can't really imagine drinking or smoking age to be raised above the
age of majority, though. You're old enough to sign binding contracts,
vote in elections and to run for most political offices, or to
volunteer for the army... Sorry, but combining that with "you are too
young to drink alcohol" seems seriously weird to me.

Anke

--
http://ankewehner.de