[LMB] OT: Tunisia

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 21:55:08 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Royce McDaniels
<roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com> wrote:
> tel, would you mind dropping by and repeating this comment at the blog under
> the post? i really think my readers would like to see it. the army part is
> totally new to me and very heartening!
>
> let me know if you want me to arrange a private login for you.
>
> delighted royce

Nah, that's fine. Not my thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/world/africa/25tunis.html for one of
several articles on the army.

Things are still very much in progress in Tunisia. Last I heard, the
protests about the continuing presence of the ruling party in
government haven't stopped. Hopefully this will be worked out. I have
heard that like Interior, Defense, and Foreign Affairs are now passing
out of the control of holdovers...maybe. Nothing official yet.

The Tunisians, from all I have heard, have mostly been sensible and
civic-minded about it all with a minimum of rock-throwing and
villa-looting. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2044484,00.html
for one take.

It is important to point out that Ben Ali wasn't anywhere near the
worst or most hated of the Arab dictators - it wasn't sheer
repressiveness that brought him down so much as perceived
vulnerability.

-Tel