[LMB] Gregor as Emperor

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu Jan 27 02:55:22 GMT 2011

--- On Tue, 1/25/11, Tracy A <greenlady31 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Miles himself observes that
> Gregor, left to his own devices, might be happier installing
> lights than being Emperor.

So Miles thinks. I'm not sure Miles is right.  Often I think he's projecting his own feelings in Gregor; I absolutely believe Miles would be happier as a light-installer than as Emperor.  So would Aral be - though I'm not sure how long Aral (or Miles either) would remain a light-installer.

But Gregor?  He's a different kettle of fish, and I think he's grown into a certain comfort and confidence in the position he holds.  That's the impression I got in ACC - a capable ruler with a style all his own, and no longer the distressed and desperate runaway we met in "The Vor Game".  He's matured and progressed.

> The question I have (assuming I'm correct about Gregor) is
> whether Gregor's heirs will see things the same way?

I'd say it's a sure bet they won't.  I mean, whatever Gregor's viewpoint, they will have viewpoints of their own, and they will live in different times, and have different concerns.  They may come to the same conclusions, but not (I would hope) because that was Gregor's belief.

> They won't have Gregor's childhood experiences of being torn
> from his mother's arms and going into hiding.

Well... it hasn't happened *yet*.

>  I think
> the "worst thing" for Gregor would be to have a power-hungry
> heir who resents his father trying to dismantle the
> Emperor's power.

Maybe, but I suspect that's not high on his list of fears, if he fears it at all.  For one thing,I am far from convinced that Gregor wants to dismantle the Imperium, or leave the job to others. I remain open to textev and reasoned argument on the matter.

I'm also not sure that, even if he has those intentions, this would be the worst thing for him.  I think what Gregor most fears is becoming power-hungry himself, but since he fears it, it won't happen to him.

namaste,
elizabeth