[LMB] OT: drug addictiveness

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Thu Jan 27 20:04:04 GMT 2011

Quoting Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 01:09:17PM -0500, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>
>> One reality about drugs that gets ignored, is that some of the drug use
>> is essentially self-medication... and that some people are much less
>> affected than others, I heard stories about completely functional heroin
>> users!
>
> And a lot of the addictiveness research may be inherently flawed,
> conducted on brutalized rats with unhappy lives to escape.
> http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2007.12-health-rat-trap/
> I think this mentions yoru Vietnam vets, too.
>
> Solution to "problem" of people using drugs: let them get more
> meaningful lives.

One book I read, speaking about street junkies, said "People say that
these folks take drugs to escape reality.  If you knew what sort of
reality these people are trying to escape, you'd hand them the drugs
yourself!"  A lot of hard-core junkies come out of backgrounds that
would make Oliver Twist's childhood look like a Disneyland vacation.