[LMB] OT: OMFG: Egypt has LEFT the Internet, possibly for good

Royce McDaniels roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 04:53:37 GMT 2011

sorry, I forget not everyone is a net geek like me. Basically, what the
Egyptian authorities have done is remove all the router entries in the
master internet database for IP addresses in Egypt. This is equivalent, in
net terms, to severing diplomatic relations right before nuclear bombing
another country. If they don't put those addresses back, and they may not,
egypt is off the net for good in terms of its local internet services.

what my buddies at CERT tell me is that if the suits in egypt try to make
this long term, people there will start using providers from israel, saudi
arabia, and malta via various workarounds. The net is vast and infinite as
they say in ghost in the shell, so I overreacted just a tad.

OTOH, all of Egypts ecommerce is now gone. that can't be a good thing for
them either. so i look for the routing tables to be restored in a day or
two.

less upset now royce
Visit my blog at http://www.roycemcdaniels158.com/thewalrussays/

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Damien Sullivan [self snip]