[LMB] Casting ideas

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 12:06:35 GMT 2011

On 1/28/2011 3:58 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> weed and schizophrenia
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2005559,00.html

maybe yes, maybe no.

> In recent months, new research has explored some of these issues. One
> study led by Dr. Serge Sevy, an associate professor of psychiatry at
> the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, looked at
> 100 patients between the ages of 16 and 40 with schizophrenia, half of
> whom smoked marijuana. Sevy and colleagues found that among the
> marijuana users, 75% had begun smoking before the onset of
> schizophrenia and that their disease appeared about two years earlier
> than in those who did not use the drug. But when the researchers
> controlled for other factors known to influence schizophrenia risk,
> including gender, education and socioeconomic status, the association
> between disease onset and marijuana disappeared.

To be perfectly blunt about it, weed has been so demonized in the US
that I would not be at all surprised to find confirmational bias built
into the study. Remember what the list says about massaging data =)

How many smokers are out there that have absolutely no mental problems?
Just because there are weed smokers that have schizoaffective disorders
doesn't mean that they are not unconsciously self medicating .. and it
also doesn't meant that they wouldn't have had a schizoaffective
disorder without the weed.