[LMB] Casting ideas

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Fri Jan 28 14:41:49 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of mtraber251
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:07 AM

On 1/28/2011 3:58 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> weed and schizophrenia
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2005559,00.html

maybe yes, maybe no.

> In recent months, new research has explored some of these issues. One
> study led by Dr. Serge Sevy, an associate professor of psychiatry at
> the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, looked at
> 100 patients between the ages of 16 and 40 with schizophrenia, half of
> whom smoked marijuana. Sevy and colleagues found that among the
> marijuana users, 75% had begun smoking before the onset of
> schizophrenia and that their disease appeared about two years earlier
> than in those who did not use the drug. But when the researchers
> controlled for other factors known to influence schizophrenia risk,
> including gender, education and socioeconomic status, the association
> between disease onset and marijuana disappeared.

To be perfectly blunt about it, weed has been so demonized in the US that I
would not be at all surprised to find confirmational bias built into the
study. Remember what the list says about massaging data =)

How many smokers are out there that have absolutely no mental problems?
Just because there are weed smokers that have schizoaffective disorders
doesn't mean that they are not unconsciously self medicating .. and it also
doesn't meant that they wouldn't have had a schizoaffective disorder without
the weed.

====================================
NEW from JRJ> Coupla decades ago I worked for a world-class statistician,
who recently retired from Harvard.  I emailed him about statistics in a book
I found suspicious, and he replied that the most common mistake is to
confuse "associative" with "causative."  That's more or less what Marilyn
said, above, but thought it would be useful to offer the terminology he
used.

Since Gwynne's post, I read Wikipedia on this, and it's so cautious as to be
ludicrous.

My personal bias is to believe in widespread demonizing bias.  So very tired
of being hectored and harassed and lied to by control freaks grasping for
affirmation of power by imposing their will on others; can't they do
something useful instead?  How about building human freedom instead of
constricting it?  Vibes from people-uppers might be better than from
people-downers; try it, you might like it.

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone