[LMB] E-book piracy - was "on topic"

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 21:02:15 GMT 2011

On 28 January 2011 21:18, Judy R. Johnson <jrj at fidalgo.net> wrote:
> Just ran across this, also.
> http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2011/01/27/writing-on-the-high-seas/
>
> Since I'm enjoying the disc that came along with Cryoburn,

The bunch of free books on the Cryoburn CD caused a sale - I got
Memory to complete the set. ;)
I'm sure I'll buy more once I actually have a working reader.

> I'm wondering if you agree with this guy that piracy
> effects are (after many many words on his part)
> neutral to an author's income.

Sure.
The whole "illegal downloading as sampling" thing he mentiones makes
sense to me. I've used borrowing from friends or from the library for
sampling to decide what to buy for repeated re-reads for a long while,
and purely from a reader's perspective, downloading and reading once
isn't much different from borrowing a book - you read a book without
giving the author money either way.

The blanket statements along the lines of "anyone wo downloads a book
is a thief who would never pay for a book!" make no sense to me,
particularly when keeping in mind common frustrations of non-US
readers who would like to buy legally, but run into  regional limits.

> Do sort of agree that it would be easier if some big
> corporate interest came up with a tech solution to
> piracy.  Before I'm ever ready, maybe it will have
> come to pass (hope, hope).

Sounds like you are really convinced piracy would hurt your sales.

Anke

--
http://ankewehner.de