[LMB] Sergyar was Re: Spirit Ring Discussion

Gretchen Wright gretchen.wright at rcn.com
Sun Jan 30 15:32:27 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Gwynne Powell
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:01 AM
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
Subject: Re: [LMB] Spirit Ring Discussion

I haven't been around all that long,

***********By the way, this would be a good time to mention that I really
appreciate your contributions to the group, Gwynne. You've brought up some
great topics and I love your observations.

and I don't want to
drag everyone over old ground. But there must be some new ideas or questions
to discuss? Something Vorkosiganly?

**************Here's a topic I've been thinking of from time to time lately:
Sergyar, past, present and future.

Past: I think I need to go back and reread because I'm confused about the
sequence of events in _Shards_. We know that Cordelia's team believed they
were alone on the planet until they were surprise-attacked -- so who was
actually there first, were the Barrayarans there but just concealed somehow
so that they were overlooked by the Betans' initial survey [and wouldn’t
that be difficult?] or did they arrive afterwards? And how, at the close of
the events, did Barrayar end up in undisputed possession of the planet? Is
there a Nexus policy about who gets to settle newly discovered unpopulated
planets?

Present (and recent past): What do you imagine Sergyar looking like? What
are the major industries/activities of the population? And if there is still
undeveloped land on the south continent of Barrayar, what would induce a
Barrayaran to colonize a totally new planet instead of moving within their
own planet?

Also: How do you suppose it feels/felt for Aral and Cordelia to see the
transformation from untouched wilderness to a populated planet? I imagine it
must be rather bittersweet.

Future: What is the Imperium's strategic vision or goal for what they want
Sergyar to become in the long term? Here again I feel like I'm missing
something -- if they don't need land, why is it so important to them?

Gretchen