[LMB] E-book piracy - was "on topic"

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 17:02:24 GMT 2011

On 30 January 2011 17:36, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm familiar with the technique and the argument, and it is certainly
> valid.  But if books are inexpensive, then scanning/photographing is
> not worth the time and effort.  That's where anti-piracy people need
> to do their work -- keep the cost of piracy at or above the cost of
> legitimate purchasing.

I was referring to Miles and Ivan cracking security, because the
thought occurred and amused me. ;)

More to the point, in the "cost" also time/convenience needs to be figured in.
A technology that raises the cost of piracy, but also raises the cost
- be it in more complicated hardware or  in more "hoops" like registry
and whatnot to jumo through to buy a book - may well do more harm than
good.

So, yeah, I agree that making buying books simple and pricing so that
it appears fair to the customers would be the best way of combatting
piracy. (Incidentally, on a thread on mobilereads I saw someone
claiming familiarity with the filesharing "underbelly" of the net
saying that Baen books were pirated rarely, because with their
policies, that seemed like a dickish move to most.)

Hardware locks... eh. There seems to be a niche industry around game
consoles to do things that the proprietary cartridges design was
supposed to prevent. Flashcards that will let you back up save states,
copy your DS games or run your own programs on the system (or games
other people ripped from their cartridges and spread over the net).
Might be there will always be some geeks who just want to figure out
what all they can do when they get over the artificial limits of their
toys.

Anke
--
http://ankewehner.de