[LMB] Political discussion

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 30 17:47:35 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 07:39:52AM -0800, Damien Sullivan wrote:

> I'd note that when we talk about Barrayaran benignity, we're pretty much
> talking about Aral and Gregor.  Suppose Vordarian had won his revolt?

Conversely: Dorca, Ezar, Aral and Gregor have been strong competent in
their various ways.  Yuri, well, tried to be strong.  We talk about
whether Gregor's heir will be as well-meaning as him, but a likely
failure mode is simply not being as extraordinary.  Not a Yuri or Serg
or even Ezar, but someone less politically astute, maybe simply less
interested.  Weaker, and so power flows back the Counts, not just the
Council but the individual Counts.  And so quality of life would depend
again not on the quality of a few unelected men but of many.

(We're talking about Aral and Gregor... also about Illyan, who seems
quite decent for a head of secret police.)

-xx- Damien X-)