[LMB] genres, and Miles

Royce McDaniels roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 20:24:38 GMT 2011

two small points:

1) My dad was a huge fan of Zane Gray's (sp?) Westerns, he had them all,
many in hardback and some signed by ZG himself. I donated them to the SMU
library when dad died. But I read them all as a wee walrus and was
fascinated at the similarity of plots; later, when i became addicted to sf
and then mystery via my first wife laura i noticed how plots differed
between sf/mystery/western as well as the place elements.

2) i would suggest that things like comedy, horror, et all are added to
polarize the first two genre elements. Frex, "How Much For Just The Planet"
is a french farce written as a genre star trek sf book.

just some random royce-musings...

back from TWS server meltdown royce (whew!)
Visit my blog at http://www.roycemcdaniels158.com/thewalrussays/