[LMB] On emerging from a new wormhole...

Royce McDaniels roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 02:04:26 GMT 2011

replies inline with {{{}}}
---------------
Visit my blog at http://www.roycemcdaniels158.com/thewalrussays/

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM, David Levine <dwl at panix.com> wrote:

> On 1/30/2011 8:00 PM, Royce McDaniels wrote:
>
>> ...what does the crew do?
>> [snip]
>

> 3) Start looking for some of the big bright variable x-ray stars and
> sources, get three of those and you know where you are. The more the
> merrier. I'd imagine there is a pretty well developed canonical list of
> bright, distinctive stars you would use. If wormholes are not terribly long
> in distance (This is my impression) and they tend to be "local" I'd expect
> you'd have a pretty good idea what to look for on the far side. I also
> suspect there is a pretty comprehenisve catalog of the details (Spectrum,
> size, etc) of local stars, and you'd go match those up as well.
>
> {{{ yeah that would be my thought. pulsars are good too.}}}

> 4) I have to imagine there is some sort of spacer's ritual for the "first
> blind jump." Humans like excuses to party way too much.

{{{ like they used to do when crossing the equator for the first time. yuck.
}}}

> For the rest,
> I'd imagine that depending on where you found yourself would dictate next
> steps. Assuming humans only get better at building telescopes, people in the
> nexus almost certainly know what's around all the nearby stars, even ones
> that don't have convenient wormhole access.
>
> {{{bingo. I've worked this out myself but wanted a sanity check. imagine
the frustration of seeing a nice juicy, full-earth analogue world with
usable vegetation/animals, and you can't find a wormhole jump there.}}}

> 5) Keep a sharp eye out for the crazy Barryaran's and similar nutjobs who
> may have found the wormhole and be keeping it a secret.

{{{would they do that? don't answer that...}}}

thanks!

sanity-checked (no remarks please) royce