[LMB] : Political Discussion

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Sun Jan 30 14:17:27 GMT 2011

On 1/30/2011 2:44 AM, I wrote:
> At 05:34 PM 1/30/2011, Tel wrote:
>
>> This is not... dissent, though. It's lobbying.
>
> ?? I didn't get the impression that corruption was involved.
<snerk!>

     I think the original point, though, was that the Komarran
leadership doesn't feel afraid of getting Solstice'd even if they keep
nagging Gregor on a regular basis about their particular hobbyhorse.

     In most truly oppressive regimes on here-and-now Earth, "nagging"
the government is often treated as a low-grade form of "dissent" and
dealt with as such.  The PRC, for example -- it's only recently that
personal-injury lawyers have been able to start making some headway in
getting settlements from state-owned businesses for on-the-job
injuries.  Not too long ago, an overly-persistent laywer, even one who
was scrupulously within the letter of the law, could often find hirself
subjected to various levels of off-the-books harrassment from the
security apparat -- actual arrest was generally reserved for those who
slipped up and actually said something that could be considered
_lese_majeste_ (or, in this case, perhaps _lese_Party_?) in court.
     Back when the Ministry of Political Education (do I recall that
right?) was a major force in Barrayaran politics, I'll wager that
Komarran "lobbying" was treated as one step removed from insurrection.