[LMB] : Political Discussion

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 31 21:32:43 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:09:03PM -0800, Jeff Shultz wrote:

> > I read "the colony awarded additional votes to those taking on the
> > work and risk of creating more living space" to be referring to
> > physical risk, that is, originally favouring workers in a dangerous
> > job. Bring your own equipment? Or it could cover financical risk, too?
>
> I don't remember the textev of this - your reference sounds a lot like
> a "sweat equity" plan - votes come as a fringe benefit of hard (and
> potentially dangerous) work.

Cryoburn.

"So to encourage the development of the domes, the early Komarran
colonists set up a reward system. In addition to an inalienable
one-person-one-vote that every Komarran is born and dies with, the
colony awarded additional votes to those taking on the work and risk of
creating more living space. These were inheritable, tradable, salable,
and in general accumulate-able. The basis of the Komarran oligarchy as
it now stands is clan possession of blocks of these planetary voting
shares. The place is putatively a democracy, but some are measurably
more equal than others."

-xx- Damien X-)