[LMB] A Timeline Question

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 16:23:06 BST 2011

On 7/19/2011 10:35 AM, David McMillan wrote:
> On 7/19/2011 6:26 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
>> Since the war was over, this wasn't any kind of act of war or
>> resistance. And if the Barrayarans were as evil as they thought,
>> it wasn't a punishment to them since they'd be unlikely to care
>> for bastards of their enemies. So the only revenge was on unborn
>> babies.
>>
>> Not a great decision, or a humane one.
>>

>     A combination of "fetuses aren't people" with "let's give those
> Barrayaran bastards another chance to prove to the Nexus just what
> barbarians they are," with enough anger and/or trauma to ignore the
> basic dichotomy between those two positions.
Sounds about right, wasn't the messenger with the pallet of URs also
pretty snarky?

They obviously believed in the reputation of The Butcher Of Komarr
without understanding the truth behind it. Aral is not normally
bloodthirsty, he planned Komarr to be as bloodless as possible. It was
the political officer that was the bloodthirsty one.

I do think that not making a big deal out of being able to properly
gestate the bastards and not just flushing them was good. I wonder if
Excobar ever wondered what happened to them, or ever found out.