[LMB] Why Four Girls?

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 10 20:11:54 BST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 06:33:36PM +0000, scottwashburn at comcast.net wrote:

> This question struck me the other day: Why did Kou and Drou Koudelkas chose to have four daughters? The first two were body-births so I imagine it was just random chance in those two cases. But the second two were done with uterine replicators. They could choose the sex. Why did they choose to have two more daughters and no sons? Seems an odd decision, especially for Barrayarans.

Definitely not chance -- they were having their kids in the era when
the "choose-the-sex-of-your-baby-pill" was all the rage on Barrayar.
Most of the Vor had lots of sons.  My guess is that Cordelia pointed
out to Kou and Drou that one of the consequences would be a shortage
of women followed by the possibility of marrying up.

So far they have two Vors and a scientific genius in the family, plus
a high-ranking Komarran member of Impsec.  Not bed social climing
for a grocer's son.

Tony Z

--
Anton's was the one trade which, along with philosophers, always
understood the precedence of epistemology. -- Eric Flint, "From the Highlands"