[LMB] Why Four Girls?

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sun Jun 12 00:28:25 BST 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Katherine Collett wrote:
> My relatives in the UK who are first cousins married to each other had genetic counseling before they got married,

When I was pregnant, before the chorionic villius sampling, we were asked about our ethnic heritage by the genetic counselor. We both have French (although mine is French Canadian), German and English ancestry. We were asked if we thought there might be any mutual relations. I believe it was me who said, Not in the last two or three hundred years, if then.

Genetic counseling for those wishing to have children together is a great idea. One sometimes finds surprises in the family tree that have genetic implications, such as "hidden Jews", who emigrated from Europe after Ferdinand & Isabella began purging Jews and Moslems from Spain and Portugal.  There were some Jews as well who "converted", in order to stay there, whose conversion was merely superficial, as well.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com