[LMB] So, where did Ezar go wrong with Serg?

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Jun 22 13:14:17 BST 2011

I have a massive problem with the "blame the mother/women in someone's life
for whatever badness they turn out to have."  Serg grew up as the sole child
of Ezar who became Emperor.   Even the medieval and Renassance practice of
the "whipping boy" as constraint to try to socialized otherwise spoiled brat
self-gratifying would-be monster children royal and noble children, seems to
be absent on Barrayar.  (The idea of the whipping boy is that the hide of
the noble/royal sprat is inviolate, however, the whipping boy and the sprat
form a bond and the sprat is averse to seeing the whipping boy punished,
particularly, punished for an offense committed by the sprat.  With a Serg,
the Serg probably would ENJOY seeing the whipping boy punished, though,
unless it was made clear to Serg that Serg would suffer social ostracism for
that.

Serg probably was much more in the company of males than women--he was the
Prince, the heir to the throne, and probably indulged all
around--particularly  because Barrayar had been in such dire circumstances.
Consider all the indulgences given to Baby Boomer children after WWII..
however, most people aren't sociopathic and inclined towards it in any large
fashion.   Barrayaran -male- Vor responsibility inculcation seems to be
mostly a -male- social construct set.  Yes, there are women who are "true
Vor" but they're not voting citizens in the matter, they're somwhat less
unempowered than ancient Athenian wives in classical Athens, but not by
much, and they're not the ones whose society boys get trained to participate
in.... the Barrayaran Vor ideals involve the company of men, and much
male-only activity (the military, the Council of Counts, etc.)