[LMB] OT: Imperial Tropes and fair criticism

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Thu Jun 23 16:59:34 BST 2011

At 01:44 AM 6/23/2011, Keith Wells wrote:
>> From: "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>
>> To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold." <
>> lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:28:39 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Imperial Tropes and fair criticism
>> A pair of authors(Bunch & Cole) who wrote an "eternal emperor" SF series
>> wrote it deliberately to blow up a certain SF trope....
>>

>Ah, Yes, the Sten series!  Probably my second favorite science fiction
>series after the Vorkosiverse.  Eight books with an "everyman" type hero,
>full of humor and intrigue.  Also some might fine recipes are hinted at
>throughout the books.  I loved the description of the "ultimate steak
>sandwich" and how the eating of it was called "cholesterolicide".  All eight
>books sit next to my Bujold's (I keep my books alphabetical by author, and
>by how often I reread them, with the latter quality more important than the
>former).

I didn't keep the Sten series; I recycled it.  A lot of the early books were very enjoyable (unless you absolutely HATE shaggy dog stories told in a Scots accent)--Breaking out of prison, then deciding that they shouldn't have, and proceeding to breaking back in, learning to fly a helicopter; stuff like that.  I wasn't enthralled by the eventual denouement, however.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net