[LMB] Censorship on Barrayar, was What does Gregor know about Serg's death?

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Fri Jun 24 15:09:15 BST 2011

Hmm, I suddenly wonder, just how much freedom of movement and speech do
foreigners/aliens have on Barrayar, anyway, and just how receptive or
unreceptive are Barrayarans to topics of dicusssion that don't deal with
what Barrayarans care about?

Guests of the Vorkosigan's don't count--when I was in college, two of the
people I was acquainted with were Jews who had stayed in Saudi Arabian
embassies, when there was an official state of war still existing between
Saudi Arabia and Israel.  However, the two college associates were personal
friends of one of the low
numbers-of-people-ahead-of-him-in-line-for-the-throne Saudi Arabian princes,
and as personal friends of a highly placed member of the royal family, had
special privileges provided to them....

How much freedom of movement and speech would an ordinary spacer from
Escobar or Kline Station etc. have to visit Barrayar and talk to the people
on Barrayar?  How many of them would even be interested, the attitude of
half the population at least in the Nexus not in the Barrayaran Empire, was
about the same as the attitude of the Abh in the Crest/Banner of the Stars
series to planets "Not f casomewhere I have ANY interest in being!"  But,
assuming that someone from Escobar, etc., was on a ship that went to
Barrayar, how much freedom of movement and speech would the person have
going down to the surface of the planet?  And on the planet, is anyone going
to deal with them or listen to anything that contradicts what Barrayarans
"know" ??!!

There were cases I heard of, back when the USSR existed, of people from the
USA, or emigrated from the USSR and satelllites who had adopted western
values and integrated into western life--not everyone who tried succeeded,
some people went back unable to deal with the cultural differences and
societal differences or were unwilling to--who stopped talking to people
behind the Iron Curtain about things the natives refused to believe.... the
most telling example of disbelief and unwilling to accept reality, was the
crew of a Soviet ship which went under the Golden Gate Bridge, marvelled at
how the USA staged all those cars crossing the bridge to impress the ship';s
crew--because there simply could NOT be any other explanation of there being
so many cars... the idea that those were all private vehicles going about
their daily commuting and business traffic travel, was quite literally
unthinkable to the Soviet sailors....

Barrayar is a nice comfortable place for -men- who have choices of careers,
some degree of self-determination, a benevolent despot for a ruler.... being
told your planet is a pit,either directly or inferred by comparison to
someone discussing not even necessarily intending offensive, the more
advanced state of tools and uncensored information etc. in the Nexus,  I
expect wouldn;t go over well with Barrayarans.... and they'd stop listening
or tell the person to shut up--assuming the person had even been allowed to
roam freely on the planet.   The old USSR and such assigned appartchiks to
keep track of foreigners and keep them under surveillance and keep them and
most of the citizens apart....