[LMB] Casting threads

James Nicoll jdnicoll at panix.com
Fri Jun 24 15:17:35 BST 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Howard Brazee wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:01 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> No, I am perfectly serious: did you see what they did to e.g. JUMPER? Or Susan Cooper's Drawing of the Dark? Hollywood does not know how to make very many movies and books that are optioned will almost certainly be shoehorned into an existing type.
>
> Never heard of them.

JUMPER was Steven Gould's debut novel and it is a perfectly good story
about a kid from a broken family who discovers he can teleport and what he
does with it.

The Dark is Rising is a well-regarded, award winning fantasy series from
Susan Cooper.

In both cases, the movies took extreme and detrimental liberties with the
plots of the book; inexplicably in JUMPER's case, given that Kid with
Powers Fights Terrorism While Dealing with Dad Issues is close to a
standard superhero movie plot.