[LMB] {tone less strident} Moldy oldy comments, was Cavillo and her ilk

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Sat Jun 25 15:40:40 BST 2011

There's a lot of mythology perpetrated and perpetuated to benefit one group
at the expense of others, often by inventing or caricaturing characteristics
of the groups being exploited and marginalized.   Creation of stories and
jokes and such act as social engineering to define/freeze people into
specific roles and places in the social hierarchy, and reinforce that
status.   The number of "stupid wife" jokes I heard years ago were all the
sorts of things that reinforced the value that women are untrustworthy and
need the husband and master to direct their lives.  Children's rhymes helped
perpetuate segregation and calumny against people with dark skins, and
conservatism regarding, "this is the rhyme I learned, why should l have to
change the words?" was a further meme factor.

It was to the benefit of husbands and of other men who didn't want to
themselves  deal with messy whiny noisy children to spin propaganda  about
how the highest worth for women was to be homemakers and mothers... it also
kept women from competing with them for position and income and such., and
removing half the population from the competition provided a better chance
at getting the position....  That it kept men who LIKED children and wanted
move involvement in rearing them from participating they way -they- wanted
to in raising children, was a consideration that most societies -stomped-
on....  "That's WOMEN'S work!"

Ethan of Athos was subversive because it said, "Athos is an all-male
society.  Baby-minding is an importan "MAN'S job!"   What this world takes
for granted, Athos can't, and so Athos places an explicit value on services
of child production and care, that the contemporary societies here on earth,
look at scornfully and pay low wages to/for, if any. Call it a "duty" and
declare it a non-paying responsibility.....

Human babies are amongst the most helpless on the planet.  Without
caregivers, human babies die, they can';t fend for themselves ujntil -years-
have passed.  But the contention over -who- spends their life or a large
chunk of it, is one of the things which got -relegated- to women.... I think
it is VERY noteworthy that researchers a few years back observed -female-
chimpanizees inventing hunting and hunting weapons--not the males, the
females.  All the tropes of sociobiologists had the sexual dimorphism of
"females stay at the camp with the babies and males go on hunting partties"
as credo... but there were those -female- chimpanzees--not the males, the
females, organizing themselves into hunting parties.  And note that ancient
Rome and ancient Greece has Diana/Artemis as a hunt -goddess.  Somehow I
don;t think either of the misogynistic cultures, Athens particularly an
extreme in its misogyny, would have invented a hunt -goddess- without there
having been female hunters sometime in the past whom Diana/Artemis was a
reflection of.   And the archaeological digs of ancient Scythia and
Sauromartia, prove that there were female warriors/hunters in ancient times.
Herodotus reported it, and the  Illiad had it recorded as content.

Given that the young of the species have a very long period of being unable
to fend for themselves, older members of the species have to spend time
monitoring and teaching and caring for the young, all those years before the
young can fend/forage successfully for themselves. The cultural myths
developed to force women to take the role of caretakers of the young,
whether they wanted that role or not....  and through history there have
been women who rebelled, some so violently they created the archetypes of
Medea and other women who destroyed their own children... but that, too, fed
into the myth, because they could be used as examples of insane -monsters-,
and in order to prevent monstrous actions on the part of women, they
according to the myths had to be kept powerless....   there have also been
evocations of that in such things as "Sharra the chained forged goddess" in
Marion Zimmer Bradley's writing, and women of theDry Towns with chains and
their hands...  yes, it said, um, interesting things about Marion Zimmer
Bradley, and she addressed some of it with a response in The Shattered
Chain...