[LMB] What does Gregor know ... + sherwooding, where threads collide

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Jun 28 20:58:45 BST 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:11 PM, beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com wrote:

> If our culture truly valued face over money, there would be a lot fewer
> reality shows, given how many of them are mostly about people humiliating
> themselves for money, one way or another.  Also, daytime television would
> be a lot different.  And face is a pale imitation of honor.

I disagree.   I bet virtually all of those who wish to be humiliated for money call up their friends to watch themselves fail.   Just being on TV gives them "face".

Different people have different ways of measuring this.    Big stage failure is a kind of success.   They have been noticed.   They matter.

The NBA player with a 98 million dollar contract is happy until they see another player with a 99 million dollar contract.    Even money is often about face.    Sex is often about face.