[LMB] more on uterine replicators

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Thu Jun 30 23:50:18 BST 2011

On 6/30/11 7:54 AM, Thad Coons wrote:

>      Most of my objections and questions have by now been at least addressed,
> though not answered to my satisfaction. As maybe not quite my last word on
> the subject, I am and expect to remain deeply suspicious of the ability of
> semi-magical advanced super technology to usher us into a rosy paradise of
> painless maternal bliss where the machines handle it all and nothing goes
> wrong.  Reality has never been quite that simple.

No. But the UR as we see them in Miles's time have been tested for over
four centuries (or was that two?) in humans, probably much longer in
animals. They are not a shiny new piece of tech by any means, except for
Barrayarans.

I expect there *will* be trade-offs, and they will be on the same scale
as the current ones for breastfeeding vs. formula, "natural"/unmedicated
childbirth vs. epidural, and vaginal delivery vs. (elective) c-section.

Most people will be able to make a choice -- and considering the current
numbers for epidurals I am actually astounded that a full 33% of Betan
women and herms opt for body births -- and for the rest the tech will be
the only thing that allow them a child, and treasured as such.

There will be some differences in outcome, most/all of them marginal and
invisible outside of large population studies.

Agnes