[LMB] Scary Hogs now OT: was Re: Radioactive wolves of Chernobyl

Martin Bonham martin at bonham.net.nz
Wed Nov 2 02:44:30 GMT 2011

In a post I read in Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 78, Issue 3
Kevin Kennedy <kevink45 at hotmail.com> wrote in part

> I've heard some pretty scary stories of feral hogs.

For a 60 second TV advert of a scary Wild Boar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspHqoegTkc

Toyota NZ have had over many years a wonderful series of TV adverts for their
Utes. This is the latest.

Sidebar:
In Australasian usage a "Ute" (short for utility) is a motor vehicle with the
front end of a car and one or two rows of seats, and two or four side opening
doors, and with a cargo bed behind the cabin, and which only needs a passenger
car license to drive.

Wikipedia seems to think that Americans call this sort of vehicle
either "Coupé utility" or pickup trucks and traybacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9_utility#Australia

Anyway the current
"Toyota NZ Hilux TV ad - Tougher Than You Can Imagine"
"Hold on to your steak and cheese [pie]..."

[I seem to recall a previous discussion of the Australasian concept of a meat
pie held in a paper bag while being eaten, so I won't go there again]

The Ad features a very scary Hog (Boar) riding a Hog (as in a Harley Davidson
style Motorcycle), with another talking animal in a sidecar.

I probably also need to explain the last line of the Ad.

"Hokey pokey (ice cream), iconic New Zealand flavour of ice cream."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey_pokey_(disambiguation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey_pokey_(ice_cream)

Martin.

--
Martin Bonham, Auckland, (Aotearoa) New Zealand.
Home of Middle Earth, Whale Rider, and now also King Kong, Tintin and Narnia.

-----