[LMB] OT (NOT politics!): White House Appointee Ari Neeman on the Power of Autistic Community

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Nov 2 18:20:38 GMT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Harimad wrote:
> 1. If you knew during pregnancy that your child would have such a condition/disease[1] (deafness and Autism has been mentioned), would you take steps to prevent it?  Be sure to specify if your reasons are religious or not.

If I knew then what I know now:
I would not have chosen to conceive, because the early meds have screwed up Arthur's lipid profile.
If I knew then what I know now AND there was gene therapy to prevent or delay onset, yes, I'd have taken the risk. Our brains are different, and when we're balanced, that's a good thing.

> 2. If you knew during pregnancy that your child would not have such a condition/disease, would you take steps to cause it?

It would probably not have affected my decision to carry to term, or to choose to conceive.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
CALVIN: Dad, where do babies come from?
DAD: Most people just go to Sears, buy the assembly kit, and read the instructions.
CALVIN: I CAME FROM SEARS?!?!
DAD: No, you were a Blue Light Special at Kmart. Almost as good, and a lot cheaper.
CALVIN: AAUUGHHH!
MOM: Dear, what are you telling him now?!

Bill Watterson (b. 1958) American cartoonist               Calvin & Hobbes