[LMB] OT: I found an Error in Lord Peter's Arms

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Fri Nov 11 02:16:28 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Robert Hall
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:39 AM

snip

Not wanting to make enemies right, left and centre; will confine self to
saying that while having predominantly enjoyed the Wimsey books, my
admiration for DLS's writings is less than impassionedly 100%; and I
struggled througfh "Gaudy Night" and "Busman's Honeymoon", rather than took
much pleasure in them.

A memory triggered by the above post: I borrowed "Busman's Honeymoon" from
the library; and a previous borrower -- obviously, also, less than totally
taken with the work -- had very reprehensibly written marginalia here and
there in the book. IIRC, beside the bit about "dans son lit, comme le Grand
Turc" or words to that effect, the bod had written: "We don't all know
bloody multiple languages, you intellectual snob, Sayers."  I confess to
having experienced just a little bit of fellow-feeling with the general
sentiments expressed by the ignoramus / vandal responsible.

NEW from JRJ> Yabbut.  All the stuff you once mildly resented you later
pounce upon with glee once you've learned enough French to sorta get it.

Move over, snobs, I want in!

--
Entwife Judy
The Skiffy Minded