[LMB] bilingual puns, was OT: I found an Error in Lord Peter's Arms

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri Nov 11 22:41:05 GMT 2011

[LMB] OT: I found an Error in Lord Peter's Arms
Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 21:57:37 GMT 2011

Well, yes that too, but I was so tickled at getting a joke in another
language, souse just slid by.

 > >so Vorkosigan underwater.
 > >Aral was drowning  in drink, and his drunken piloting durn near got
him drowned in the lake.

 > Souse?

LMB:  The Intent of the Author, in the scene in question, was just
Vortala's joke about Aral tipping his little sailboat, which was likely
more because he kept pushing the envelope than because he was soused, at
least after Cordelia arrived.  In the audiobook, however, the narrator
hadn't caught the French pun, and read it "souse-low" rather than
"soo-low", adding, I'm sure, to subsequent listerner-ly confusion.

The name of the village/former castle being Vorkosigan Surleau --
Vorkosigan on the Water, sur l'eau.

The pun being Aral-under-the-water, sous-l'eau.

Not that the other isn't an understandable reading, and, obviously, made
by more than one person.

And now you know why no one stops to explain jokes...

Ta, L.