[LMB] UK market e-question

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Fri Nov 11 22:09:15 GMT 2011

> From: Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
> Date: 09 November 2011 16:30

> down-time, it turns out.)  So all the spelling, typos, etc. are to my
> own standard, i.e., US.
>
> ... I'm still trying to figure out if that allowed pirate site where
> absolutely every-fricking-one who reviews my books on-line is linking
is
> a good idea (as Eric Flint posits), or only a good idea for Eric.  From

> where I sit, it is entirely unclear.  Well, Baen fall royalties (when
> they arrive, which can be any time from late November to next February,

> historically) may give more clues.

Data on Memory eBook sales (from Fictionwise, non-NA Amazon and Baen) and
indeed sales of the Harper-Collins books which are also not on the CD
should also give clues.

Since you are at the editorial revision stage on Captain Vorpatril's
Alliance you might wish to rename (following other Baen Authors) a
redshirt, a blown up spaceship or a minor Jacksonian boss as Joe (or
Josephine) Buckley.

I quote D*v*d W*b*r - Mission of Honor

Dr. Joseph Buckley had been a major figure in the development of the
original impeller drive on Beowulf in the thirteenth century. Unhappily,
he hadn't been one of the more fortunate figures. He'd been a critical
part of the original developmental team in 1246, but he'd had a
reputation among his peers even then for being as eratic as he was
brilliant, and he'd been determined to prove it was accurate. Although
Adrienne Warshawski was to develop the Warshawski sail only twenty-seven
years later, Buckley had been too impatient to wait around. Instead, he'd
insisted that with the proper adjustment, the impeller wedge itself could
be safely inserted into a hyper-space gravity wave.
Although several of his contemporaries had acknowledged the theoretical
brilliance of his work, none had been prepared to endorse his
conclusions. Unfazed by his peers' lack of confidence, Buckley—whose
considerable store of patents had made him a wealthy man—had designed and
built his own test vessel, the Dahak, named for a figure out of
Babylonian mythology. With a volunteer crew embarked, he'd set out to
demonstrate the validity of his work.
The attempt, while spectacular, had not been a success. In fact, the
imagery which had been recorded by the Dahak's escorts still turned up in
slow motion in HD compilations of the most awe-inspiring disaster footage
in galactic history.
==