[LMB] The Measurement of Greases and Particulate Solids (OT: WAS:- On the Art of Translation)

James M. BRYANT G4CLF james at jbryant.eu
Sat Nov 19 08:16:35 GMT 2011

Marina refers to the:-

 >...issue of rendering British Isles/Australian/European
 >cookbooks into US measurements and other conventions.

<RANT>

Why, oh why, do all North American cookbooks measure
particulate solids and greases (butter, shortening, etc.)
by volume? It makes getting accurate quantities correct
impossible (the ratio of flour to liquid is quite
important in breadmaking - a cup of milk or water
weighs 8 oz but a cup of flour can be between 4 and 5.5
oz depending on  whether it is packed down or not and
the recipe never says) and measuring the volume of soft
butter which is not in a regular block is messy beyond
belief.

Kitchen scales are cheap and simple (and modern
electronic ones are remarkably accurate - and will even
calculate the net weight of what is being weighed by
measuring and subtracting the tare) so why are they
never found in American kitchens?

obBujold - I bet Ma Kosti uses kitchen scales,
or their 30th Century equivalent.

</RANT>

James - creeping away muttering to himself