[LMB] OT: The measurment of greases and particurlate solids

Bert Ricci razenna at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 19 22:21:05 GMT 2011

James is concerned about the measurments used in American cookbooks.  I have a kitchen scale, have had it for years, which I use when a receipe call for ingredients by weight.   I don't use it for butter or solid margarine called for by volume, as in California these are sold in four cubes to a pound, and each cube is four ounces, or eight tablespoons.  (Some brands have the tablespoons marked on the wrappers of the cubes.)  Also, the way to measure any solid fat is to fill a measuring cup with the amount of water that would fill the cup after the fat is added.  Then add the fat until the water comes up to the measure marked for one (or two, or whatever cups)  The different weight of different flours is usually handled by specifying the type of flour to be used in a specific receipe, or by saying "Add flour until the dough is (firm, just gathers into a ball, no longer sticky, etc.)  Where the scale really comes in hand is when a receipe says "add  X ounces of dried fruit and/or nuts"  There is no way to convert that to cups, and frequently the weight is not that of a package of the item requested, so you can't say "Ah Hah, I need eight ounces, and here is a package for that weight."

The real problem converting British cookery to American is the difference in pints, etc.  Unless you know what the difference in ounces is, you will be short on liquids.  (I have to look it up every time, but at least I know US and Imperial pints are not the same.)

    Carol Gray-Ricci

- Caelum videre iussit, et erectos ad sidera tollere vultus. 
- He bid them look at the sky and lift their faces to the stars. 

More information about the Lois-Bujold mailing list