[LMB] [OT] The Measurement of Greases and Particulate Solids --> propagation of family customs

Suford Lewis suford at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 21:02:41 GMT 2011

Amusing point. Not only do we keep on with practices we learned from our
parents, we even keep on with our own practices that we know the origin of
even when they become inoperative.

When I was a small child, my parents got deliveries of milk and ice -- back
when a refrigerator was really an icebox. They kept on getting deliveries of
ice after refrigerators because it was often difficult to have "enough" ice
and, even when ice cube trays became common, because they didn't want to
un-employ the iceman. Eventually his company stopped anyway, but they didn't
want to be the cause.

So long after it became unnecessary, we got a block of ice every week(?)
ritually chopped it up and stored it in the icebox/refrigerator and used it
jelling puddings and in cold drinks (my parents also had social ritual
cocktail gatherings -- another custom that has virtually disappeared along
with a lot of support furniture and paraphernalia which I have now not very
usefully inherited.) When I sell all that paraphernalia on eBay that will
mark the final end of these now empty rituals. (Right now my excuse is that
the market isn't strong.)

My childhood memories do not allow me to reconstruct when frozen foods
appeared exactly (late 40s? Early 50s?) or ice cube trays or freezers. Or
even when ice cream became available in markets that would need freezing
temperature storage. Hmmm. Everyday life has changed incredibly and I hardly
noticed...

             --  Suford