[LMB] OT: Recipe help

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 15:19:51 GMT 2011

On 11/27/2011 8:49 AM, Kevin Kennedy wrote:

> I think a lot of computer controlled stuff is possible now. one can manage lights/temp/security arrangements from wherever you want to put the control panels. There's probably an app to do it from your phone by now. I wouldn't be surprised if you can hook up kitchen appliances o the system,  so you start the oven preheating for dnner while your on the way home and whatnot.
Junior husband does the more high end computer geekery professionally,
and he says that home automation is well able to do what I want. I do
not think I would want to program my kitchen appliances, but for room
environmentals, home entertainment, intraroom communications and RFID it
will work just fine.

We have pretty much figured out that we want to have building
contractors put up the shell of the house, and the appropriate trades
put in the electrical floor heating, the HVAC system, the wiring and
plumbing, and we finish it. Having the house wired with enough damned
power points will be miraculous. Our current house is an abomination of
the worship of Bob Vilas at his worst. I honestly think the home
inspector that vetted the place was being bribed by the house flipper
that we bought it from because there is almost nothing that is actually
up to code. The electrical system here would be adequate for a studio
apartment, not a 2 bedroom house. It is not that you can not run 2
appliances in the kitchen at the same time, the living room and the
kitchen share a single circuit, just as both bedrooms and the bathroom
share the same circuit ... The only thing I can say is that in all the
walls we have made holes in for various purposes there is no post and
wire here. Honestly, kerosene and a match would only improve the place.
At one point we actually considered converting the barn and tearing down
the house.

And my current project is seeing if you can flavor soy milk with maple
syrup and get a decent tofu out of it. If not I only waste about 5 cents
worth of soy beans.  I have plans for next summer that include modifying
a Tony Bourdain mention of some malaysians cooking suckling pig by
basting it with coconut water, I think maple sap might work in the same
way. If not, only condensing it slightly instead of turning it all the
way into syrup.