[LMB] a title for Ivan

Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan tora.smulders at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 20:49:51 BST 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold

I said:

TKS> I like it!  Especially since 'alliance' is one of the English words
> for Indians looking to set up marriages for their kids.

> -Tora

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold
<lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> LMB:  Hee, I did not know that.  Yet another reason to move that candidate
> to the top of the queue, besides its being shorter.  (Always important, when
> fitting a title on a book spine.  And larger print is readable from a
> greater distance, to casual browsers.)
>
> Ta, L.

Me again:

Yes, just picture some elder Indians congregating and speaking in
thick Indian accents (possibly anywhere in the world):

"I've just heard of a great alliance for my daughter"

"Oh yes, is he a doctor?"

"Yes, he is not only a doctor but he lives in America, has a big house
in LA, and comes from a good family of our caste."

"But will you send your daughter to America?! You know what those
Americans are like?!"

"Of course, we will go and stay with them and make sure they live properly."

Hmmmmm... I started that to be a bit joking, I'm not so sure it is.
Anyway, it is used that way -- as a possible marriage connection: do
you know of any good alliances? etc.  Probably because arranged
marriages are/were really thought of as allying/joining families
rather than specifically the couple involved.

Also did a quick google search, and yes, does seem common for south
Indians but also seems mentioned in the context of other Indian
communities, not just the one I'm most familiar with.

-Tora (for those of you who may not know me as well since I haven't
been on the list much lately, I'm of Indian descent but grew up in the
US and married a blonde blue-eyed Belgian -- not arranged! I now have
2 sons & the 16 month old is blonde and blue-eyed at the
moment...finding it exceedingly weird)