[LMB] LISTBIZ Gender bias blinders, was (was Re: Teenage Girls OT:

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Thu Oct 27 17:00:55 BST 2011

Yet again, perhaps you aren't aware of the sources of the new draconian
Massachusetts law regarding background investigation requirements for adults
dealing with minors at school, sports, clubs, events, etc.

One of the lethal incidents in the past couple years was a teenager who
moved here from Ireland, who was bullied to where she suicided--bullied by
girls as least as badly as the boys.  She was sexually active with some of
the latter, in part perhaps trying to be regarded as socially
acceptable/desirable  Her family I think went to the school officials
concerned about the bullying and her status in the school, but the school
officials did nothing and brushed them off.

That was -one- of the cases.  The rest of the background, again, includes
the decades of pernicious sexual abuse of children--primarily boys--by
Catholic priests and the coverups and deprecation and dismissal and
ostracization of any laiety who complained that their children were being
exploited/molested/abused by priest, where church authorities, again,
covered up the abuse and blocked government investigation of the crimes of
statutory rape and other sexual abuse, and sexual abuse of boys and girls
particularly by sports coaches.  And then too was a certain politician in
his recent book, announcing that there had been an attempt by an older boy
to molest him, when he was at a Christian summer camp....

IT WAS NOT ONLY GIRLS WHO WERE THE VICTIMS!  Most of the victims of the
priests were boys, and many of the victims of the coaches were boys, and
there were female school teachers involved with underage males, too.

The law, therefore, does NOT discriminate on the basis of gender, regarding
getting certification of not being a sex offender, etc., to authorize the
person to work with children....

Oh, and the infamous case of the Fells Acre daycare center a decade or more
ago where there was sexual abuse charged, it wasn;t only the man in the
family who worked there, but the mother, too, who went to jail convicted of
sexual abuse and knowing accessory to sexual abuse of children.   Whether
the abuse actually did occur, remain unclear, despite the convictions and
jail time.  And that case, too, contributed to the current draconian law.

The bottom line is that the "suspicion falls on people of potential sexual
abuser status" at least in Massachusetts goes to WOMEN along with men,
though sexual abuse by women tends to be less common--not nonexistent, but
less common--than by men, and the victims, again, include not only girls,
but boys, and lying allegations could ALSO be from boys.... while it's less
common that boys allege molestation when there isn;t any, social climate
changes could very easily change that situation....

The sad reality of human nature is that if slimeball sorts see an exploitive
opportunity, they'll take it.... claiming sexual abuse is a tactic that
nasty divorce lawyers use in nasty divorce cases, claiming rape when it
didn;t happen is a longstanding tactic of slimeballs, too...   and then
there are questions about whether Lawrence of Arabia's claim to have been
raped was factual or not.

Would Cavilo have committed sexual abuse if she felt like it?  Most of the
villains and the ambiguous characters in Lois' work are male--Prince Serg,
Vorrutyer, Bothari (he -was- a torturer and rapist...), the Ghem in Ethan of
Athose, Baron Ryoval, Ethan's ex-partner..

In real life there are the Pamela Smarts of the world (teacher who had sex
with male students, and persuaded one or more of them to murder her
husband....) and Elizabeth Bathorys (she might not have sexually abused
children, but she murdered girls and bathed in their blood...) and other
female child predators... that there are apparently fewer of them, is
perhaps a result of society training and outlook.... hmm, the traditions of
abuse of young Japanese wives and of Indian wives by their mothers-in-law
(Japan) and  the rest of the married into family (Indian bride burnings
being one example, and the former practice of suttee in India having been
another) and such, are perhaps related in some ways to child abuse--the
similarities involve the young bride being powerless against the
mother-in-law and her husband and his family, while minor children, the
power imbalance as regards adults and people older than the minor child,
also exists... there are pecking orders, and the victims almost invariably
are lower in the social pecking order, than their abusers.