[LMB] slander question LMB

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 18:35:44 BST 2011

LMB> Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
LMB> LMB:  Which brings up an interesting array of
LMB> distinctions.  There is slander, and there is malice,
LMB> but they are... orthogonal, I guess one could say.
LMB> They can appear in multiple combinations.
LMB>
LMB> Lies with intended malice -- this is what we usually think
LMB> of as slander.

Dredging up old memories ... I don't remember "intent" being an element of slander.  It can be a contributing factor but I don't think it's a necessary one.

I know from professional experience that malicious truth is not legally actionable:  A competing bidder told the client that my employer had been sued in a different state.  Since this was true and part of the public record, my employer had no legal resource.  Had it been true but not part of the public record, my employer might have had resource as to how the competitor got the info; but no resource about the info itself.

- Harimad