[LMB] "There's a Bimbo on the Cover of the Book" goes back THAT far?

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 2 06:27:39 BST 2011

Doctor Nightfall wrote
> Thinking about it, I'd be surprised if it didn't turn up about the same
> time. Back in the 50's-60's, there was a series on the radio called Round
> the Horne. (Bear with me, I have a point, it just does not need
> illustration as a team of 8th-century illuminators.) Now, in that series
> they had a regular set of characters; two of which were Julian and his
> "friend" Sandy. And yes, those quotation marks are there for a reason;
> anyone listening today knows exactly what was being driven at/talked
> around with those two. And for a while, I was asking myself this: How were
> they  getting away with it? It was explained to me a while ago by a friend
> who remembered them when they were first on. At the time, people didn't
> talk about That Kind Of Thing (his emphasis, not mine) and so most people
> didn't know what they were on about. And if you DID know, then you Knew
> Too Much and didn't explain it.

Not sure I buy that about Julian and his friend Sandy - it was Kenneth
Williams doing Julian, for goodness sake.  Was anybody ever naïve enough not
to know there was something a little 'queer' about him?  You could get away
with an awful lot of innuendo, but if you'd spelled it out it wouldn't have
been tolerated.  Kenneth Williams' whole career revolved around innuendo -
and much of it not too subtle.  It's amazing how well Around the Horne has
stood the test of time - my kids still find it hilarious.

Carol