[LMB] OT: Good cat news

Bert Ricci razenna at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 5 00:02:42 BST 2011

This is Carol Gray-Ricci, I know I've been gone for a long while, but combination of being mildly ill and without a computer has left me offline.  However, Bert has been kind enough to let me use his computer while he tries to get my new one on line.

Kitten of the three names is, from her picture, a little charmer.  I'm reminded of the time Kelly Freas and I were discussing cats, and he asked "Don't you think tabby cats have the most expressive faces?" to which I could only agree.

On the subject of too old to have a kitten, my 19 year old cat died last September.  I kept saying to Bert (my husband) "I want a kitten," because an adult cat was apt to have dominance issues with the two adult cats.  He kept saying "We are too old to have another kitten", completely ignoring the fact that my mother had kept saying "That is my last cat" for over 30 years.  Her last cat died about 6 weeks before she did.  She was 101, and she didn't look for cats, they found her!

Bert finally, just after Christmas, said "OK, lets go down to the shelter."  In San Francisco, the SPCA shelter has many of their cats and a few small dogs in Macy's windows, with people standing by to direct those who want to adopt one to the adoption table inside the store.  However, still at the shelter were about three kittens.  One of them was a brown tabby and white little girl, who cuddled down on my lap, and purred.  It may have been the lat time she sat still for more than two minutes, but she came home with us and fit right in.  She has grown into a cat who seems to have a lot of the old apple head Siamese in her ancestry, (including, thankfully, the intelligence) with a good dose of cortortionist.  She also dominates the two older (16 and 13 years) cats.  She may be a "Vorkosigan"  cat, the markings on her face look like the Eyes of Horus.

Moral:  You are never too old to have a new cat.  (Just watch out for the stage when they have all the kitten mischieviousness and the adult cat size to get into real trouble.)